Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vitantonio Liuzzi Now Drives Formula 1 for Force India

India lost its star performer Fisichella to Ferrari last week. Vitantonio Liuzzi now assumes the new responsibility of driving car #21. He has been Force India’s reserve driver since 2008. He has already fulfilled team’s crucial tests and development role since the start of 2008 season to fit the needs.

Vitantonio Liuzzi said on the occasion, “I can’t wait to get back into the car in race trim, particularly at my home Grand Prix in Monza. I really appreciate the opportunity Vijay has given me, particularly now Force India now has a great car that’s performing very well. I am confident I can carry on our progress. I’m very motivated; I’m in good shape and hungry to get some more points on the board. Although it’s unfortunate that this came about as a direct result of Felipe’s accident, this is my opportunity to show people what I can do and I’m really looking forward to it.”

Dr. Vijay Mallya who is the chairman and team principal welcomed Luizzi behind the driving seat. “I’m delighted to give Tonio the opportunity to get back into a race seat, which I know he has been itching to do for the past two years. He also stated that Team India is in a very competitive position and it needed a driver suitable to continue the momentum gained so far. “This will be the chance for Tonio to demonstrate to both the team and the field that he has the commitment, speed and professionalism to perform and I am sure he will seize this opportunity,” he said.

Luizzi’s last test was in the VJM02 was on Thursday 3 September at Kemble airfield when he conducted an aero test with the Monza down force configuration. He has a long list of kudos and accolades in the field of Grand Prix and holds records with Juan Pablo Montoya and Nick Heidfeld. In 2001, he also won FIA-CIK World Karting Championship title.

No comments: