Monday, November 3, 2008

Rally star Sebastien Loeb claims fifth WRC crown in a row

SEBASTIEN LOEB yesterday won the World Rally Championship drivers' crown for the fifth year in a row.

The Frenchman clinched the title in his Citreon when he finished third in the Rally of Japan in Sapporo.

Finn Mikko Hirvonen won the raced by 31.1 seconds but it was not enough to close the gap on Loeb who said: "It's incredible.

"It's a great moment. It's perfect. I'm so relieved this weekend is over now. Last year my co-driver Daniel Elena and I equalled the record with four wins so being the only ones to do five we are very happy."

Hirvonen secured his third win of the year in three hours 25 minutes and three seconds but conceded that Loeb was a worthy title winner.

He said: "Sebastien won 10 events before coming here so he deserves it. I did all I could. Now we need to try again next year."

No comments: